January 1, 2008

He Was A Good Shit

I don't know any higher words of praise that exist. Considering 45 years ago, that person would not have even had the opportunity of knowing my father had he lived in this town. When my father was 22, he was a strict, let me rephrase that, STIRCT!!!!! baptist. He would not play cards, allow my sisters to wear pants, play secular music, dance, go into a bar, go anyplace that served alcohol, associate with hippies, (they are all homosexual drug addicts) talk to people with tattoos, piercings (ears included, that is for whores) etc....

Yet, throughout the years, listening to the Holy Spirit, my father has done most of those things that he said he would never do as a good christian. The person that told me that my father was a good shit, was Susie, the bar owner's Mom. Even though my father passed on, life goes on. Plus I needed a drink and it was New Years Eve. When Susie ask about us, we told them why we were there, and then she paid him that compliment. Back in the day, my father would have never set foot in a bar, so he never would have met Susie. Or found people that needed to hear what he had to say. He would have kept trying to get them to go to the REVIVAL meeting, to get saved. But he learned to love everyone. He danced with my sister in law at her wedding. Every child there, gawked at that. And smiled at that. We remember the old attitudes.

The reason that this particular compliment is so powerful to me, is that, my father followed the Holy Spirit no matter what. Even when it went against his church taught beliefs. Even when people thought him strange, which was often. It lead him from the paths of strict behavioral patterns that some doctrines require, to the place where everyone was accepted and loved. No matter what. Not lip service, but actual love. He became a servant, not a leader, but a follower, a follower of the Holy Spirit. And in following the Holy Spirit, he became a leader of men.

He was the perfect example to have for a father, husband, and spiritual leader. He practiced what he preached. If he didn't believe it, he didn't teach it, and he would not act on it. When he made mistakes he told people of them, and ask for forgiveness. He became angry, fought with my mother, yelled at his kids, and worried about money. But he showed us how to do those things correctly. When he became angry, he never lost control, and always made a good character point. When he fought with my mother, he never became personal, stuck to the issue, and backed down, even if he thought he was right, if he could see it was really important to my mother. Yelling at us kids, well, we needed yelling at, and spanked too. But always for a reason, and we knew why, and we always deserved it. When he worried about money, he also prayed about money, and showed us God's providence again and again.

He is the man I respect and admire the most. He is the only truly righteous man I have ever known. He was a husband that taught me how to be a good husband. The father that taught me to be a good father. The man, that taught me to be a man. I love him, and will miss him, until I see him again.

11 comments:

faintnot said...

and now he stands with the other heroes of faith, cheering us on, that we might finish the course, win the race...

thank you, Nate, for sharing who your Dad was and the great things he instilled in his family...may we all come to that place where we accept others and love them for the sake of the Gospel...
Linda

Valorosa said...

:-)-:

Barry said...

Your father sounds like a very special man, and a good example to follow. I'm sure he has his reward now, and you will see him again one day. In the meantime, may God bring comfort to you and your family as you grieve.

Mike said...

What a wonderful tribute to an obviously great man. Thanks Nate!

faintnot said...

I have been thinking about you and your family and thought I would just stop by and check in on you...

Please let us all know if you need anything...
Linda

Valorosa said...

How are you today, Nate?

Mike said...

How are you brother? Haven't heard from you in awhile. I hope all is well.

Nate said...

I am surviving. I went back to work today for the first time. I am blessed to have the people that work with me. They lift my spirits a lot.

I got the call about my dad at work. Angel, the first person to see me after I got the call, could easily tell that something was wrong. I told her, "I think my Dad is dead." She came over and gave me a big hug. It helped, and meant a lot to me. That the first reaction of this group was to love me.

As for me. I am getting by day by day. There has not been a day when something has struck me about my dad, and I did not cry. It is still raw, and painful. I am not ready to let him go. I don't know if I ever will.

Valorosa said...

You have been robbed and deeply wounded.

You will miss him always.

Brought you and your family some hot cocoa with marshmallows.

Anonymous said...

very cool postscript to that to taht story. when erin, stephanie and i went back there on wednesday night, we actually met the bar owner. when we walked in susie said, "hey stacy, this is don's son."

stacy said, "i'm really sorry about your dad. he was a good shit."

(another great conversation from the same place, involving the same people.)

"do you have police in this town?"

"yeah, one night a week. and tonight's not the night... do you guys want to-go cups?"

Happy said...

Nate, your dad sounds like an amazing guy, and I'm so glad you had the opportunity to know such a godly dad. Thank you for sharing a bit of his life - and yours - with us. Praying for you, and glad that you are able to smile through the tears. God be with you. (He is.)

Praying for you,
Happy